Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thankful

I did not win the powerball.  After my initial disappointment, I was thankful for that.  I honestly couldn't imagine the chaos all that money would cause in my life. 
 
I knew that it would cause issues with my spouse, since I'd like to give most of it away- probably more then he would want to.
 
I knew it would bring family and friends asking for help, which would be hard to do fairly, so everyone was happy.
 
I know my kids would expect things to be different (tv's in each room, trips, new bikes, ect) which would not happen.
 
And so I just decided to be thankful.  Thankful for my healthy children.  For each day Aiden does not struggle with his asthma.  That they can all express themselves in verbal form among many others.  That they can run, and play, in a safe place, that is warm, and has food for them.
 
I am thankful that Justin has work.  And that he is willing to work, so I can be home for the family, and to do what I love.
 
I am thankful for parents who love me, and who are always there for me and my family.  My Mom is one of my best friends!  I tell her everything.  I am thankful for an extended family that I love equally as much. My in-laws are wonderful- and that is a blessing!

I am thankful for my best friends, whom I can call when I need to share something exciting, or just to cry.  Friends who make me want to be a better person, because of how awesome they are.
 
I am thankful for meeting so many friends online, with whom, I feel like I can share so much.  I have met a wonderful amount of artists- who I really connect with, on a deep level.  I guess they are the people I "work" with really. I love them all.
 
I am thankful people buy my stuff- and allow me to make a living doing what I love.  I need to create, its a part of who I am, and I am thankful that I get to do it everyday.
 
I am thankful that when times are tough, I have faith in a God who loves me, and never leaves my side.  And I am thankful, that I have a great group of friends, that no matter what any of us believe, we can all express our faith, or non-faith, without judgement.
 
I am thankful that I am surrounded by real people, who care about others, who care about animals and who care about the environment first, and material things last.  I couldn't have asked for a better group of friends.
 
I watched an episode of "Monsters in Me" and now I couldn't be more thankful for clean drinking water and sanitation.  (its a show about rare parasitic infestation in humans- not for the queasy- and I will not watch it again...lol).
 
When it comes down to it, I can always be thankful for the air I breathe, on my own.
 
I feel truly blessed, and when I find I am disappointed in something, I need only to find a few things to be thankful for to put it back into perspective for me.  Sometimes this takes me longer then it should, but I am human.  Being thankful, brings joy.  And when you have joy, it's contagious, you smile, you love, you care.....and it gets passed along.
 
So be thankful.  Be truly truly thankful.  And take the hurry out of the holidays by passing the greatest gift to everyone- joy.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful soul, Miss Staci! I think that in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives we forget the power of thankfulness. Of really being in the moment. Of appreciating our unique gifts and the people that surround us. Because we might not always have the best days, or enjoy the company of our family at all times, or have all the things that we could ever want, but we have enough. We are given so much and it is good to take stock of it. Thank you for sharing this and providing me a little respite from the rush that is happening around me. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Staci and you are right that we need to stop and realize what we really DO have that we can be thankful for. It is a choice and we need to make it happen. I ordered the "JOY" ornaments from Erin (who posted a lovely comment) yesterday because I want to be reminded of what I do have - not what I want. You are both talented artists and bring so much beauty and joy to others. Keep up the wonderful work! Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - and you are correct. Let us be thankful for the good things in our life.

    ~cryssT

    ReplyDelete