Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Some New Things Going On

I just waned to write a quick post about some new things going on.

First of all, the postage rates for the USA have increased for 2013.  The biggest hit is with the international shipping.  It has gone up around 100% or more.  So, I updated all the shipping costs in my shops and ended up charging a flat rate in the higher bracket for bigger packages, just to cover my bases.....HOWEVER, if you package doesn't cost that much to ship, I will refund the difference if its over $1.50.  

Rates for an average package under 3oz are anywhere from $8.60 to $12.00- even to Canada.  
I am just as unhappy about the shipping hike as you are!



Second, I have decided to offer layaway in my jewelry shop.  I am willing to do a layaway for jewelry, broken into three payments over a period of 60 days.  I am flexible though, so contact me if you  are interested and we can work out a plan that works for both of us.

New style bronze trilobite beads.  I will add a similar necklace to the shop soon.  This year my beads are very fossil / stone / bone oriented.  

Third, I am not able to do custom work at this time.  Not for beads, or for jewelry.  I have always made a variety of jewelry and beads, and sometimes I make styles again, and sometimes I don't.  If I do, I usually produce them together, at the same time, and then that is that.  So, I will not re-make specific pieces.  I am usually unable to remake pieces anyway due to the unique nature of my materials.  So, if you see something you like, please purchase it. I am hoping that layaway will help you to be able to have pieces you want, so you don't miss out.  I really hate to cut out custom work, but there is just no time for me to be able to do it.  Thanks for understanding.

I will have these eye focal beads for sale at the Berks Bead Bazaar in Reading.  Both as bracelet and necklace focals.

I think that is it for now.  New year, new directions, new policies. If you ever have questions, please feel free to ask.  As far as beads are concerned, if you see something you like, and its sold, feel free to shoot me an email, I may not be able to make you one, but there is a chance I have one in my personal stash I can list for you, so feel free to ask.

Any of you making new policies for the new year?  How are you other sellers dealing with the shipping hike? 

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I can not believe the changes in USPS rates. Stinks, doesn't it? It was creeping up over the last couple of years but sheesh, this is a biggy. Thanks for the heads up!

    Custom work? I loved doing custom work/special orders. But at the end of the day I was only one person. So are you and you've made a good decision for yourself. Because if doing custom gets in the way of exploring/creating, then you have to question the meaning of what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy custom work, but I just don't have the time, and so, I feel like I can't give it my all, or do it in a timely manner. There are always exceptions, but this year, I am creating some boundaries for myself so I don't get so burnt out. It's my resolution in a way, to make my business work without sacrificing my sanity or family time! wish me luck.

      Delete