Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Trying New Things: White Copper Clay

So, as soon as I saw White Copper Clay, I knew I had to try it.  I purchased some, and there it sat.  I finally broke it out, and started playing.

From what I read, it is mostly copper, with a little bit of nickel to make it white.  I am a little hesitant because I know there are people with nickel allergies.

On the flip side, I am excited to have something that can look more like silver, without the expense.  And, there are plenty of people without metal allergies (plus I can back it in copper, ect..)

I didn't try out the other white clays when they came out (other then silver), because they claimed they were fragile and able to break.  I wanted something that could be totally finished like metal when its done, hammered, soldered, riveted, ect......




I purchased it here
http://www.cooltools.us/White-COPPRclay-in-30-100-and-200g-packages-p/cpr3-p.htm

It is the brand I have always worked with, and so it is comfortable for me. 

Fine Finishing Boot Camp Tip (Love my Art Jewelry):

When I try out a medium, or technique, there is a lot of trial and error involved.  I don't sell my products until I have a good understanding of them, and know they are quality and will last. I highly recommend thoroughly educating yourself about the materials you use, and how they wear over time, before thinking of selling them.  This only benefits you, and how you look as a professional.   I like to learn from my mistakes, and I want those mistakes to happen to me and not my customers.  


So here are the questions I seek to answer as I work with this new medium..............

1.  How does it oxidize over time?  Will it tarnish like copper, bronze or silver, or be totally different in how it reacts?

2.   How does it hammer?  Is it soft like copper, harder like bronze?  Is it fragile?  Does it drill easily?

3.  How does it react with patina?  Like liver of sulfur? 

4.  How does it look with a heat patina?

5.  Does it solder well?

I will also be looking at questions as I work with it in clay form, like 
1.  does it stick to itself nicely like copper clay?  
2.  How does it carve? 
3.  How is the firing different from bronze and copper, and how does it fire (does it crack easily like bronze, does it come out flawless like copper?)



So look for a follow up post with some answers to these questions.  

I have some in the kiln as I type!  Wish me luck!  





3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing your results - I appreciate it when an artist takes the time to really understand their medium. BTW I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If a particular brand has 10,000 likes on Facebook, ray ban wayfarers online you could use the profile pictures of all the people who have liked it." It would also be possible to get photographs of people who have an account on the retailer's website, if they sign in via Facebook, or simply by taking a photograph of them using their webcam or cameraphone. ray ban sunglasses australia "You can tell customers that if they agree to enrol [their face] with their camera, then they will be offered a discount coupon when they walk into the store, or get them to tick a box saying they agree that their picture can be ray ban sunglasses online used when they log on with Facebook," Mr Rosenkrantz says.

    ReplyDelete