Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer Nights

I created "Summer Nights" as part of the Artbeads Summer Design theme.  I joined the Artbeads blogroll, and with that, I get to pick certain items (this time it was pendants, charms and glass beads) and then design with them.  Then I review them on my blog!  (how fun, right?)  So the theme was summer, and being a sea glass artist, I immediately went to check out the nautical pendants.......but, this moth caught my eye.  It was HUGE, and for those of you who know me, I like large and chunk in my jewelry.  I suddenly knew I had to do a Summer Nights Necklace.  I love nothing more than sitting out back on a summer night, watching the moths flutter around the light, star gazing and listening to the song of the crickets.  I had to capture that in a necklace, using that pendant! 


So I chose this awesome hill tribes moth pendant, some hill tribes star charms, these wonderful swarovski stars, a couple of other colored swarovski crystals, tiny little grey druk beads and last but not least, these awesome little opaline sea green beads.  In addtition to them, I used amythest and kyanite nuggets, lots of different shaped pearls, including the "moon" silver coin pearl, sterling silver wire & chain, and the most adorable iolite briolette beads, to complete this necklace. 

The pendant is great.  I love how large it is.  The only thing I didn't like about it was the tube on the back for beading was small and centered, and I wanted the beads coming from the end of the wing area.  So I had to glue a wire through the tube and to the ends and make my own rings to bead from.  Its no flaw of the pendant though, just my personal preference for how I would like it to hang.  The hill tribes star charms were soooo much nicer in person, detailed and thicker than I thought they'd be.  Plus they were the perfect silver accent to the moth.  The swarovski stars and crystals added that 'stellar' sparkle I was looking for. In the past I have not been a fan of many glass beads in my designs, yet I loved all the beads I got for this necklace and would buy more.  My favorite was the opaline beads.  They look so much like gemstones, but with a sort of glow you don't get from a gemstone.  I MUST buy more of these!  I think they made the piece, giving it a soft glow that I couldn't have gotten from the purples alone.  All in all, I love this necklace, and I can't wait to wear it out on a warm summer night!

Disclosure:  All ARtbeads items highlighted in this blog were given to me free of charge from artbeads, and I am receiving no money to advertise their products.  All statements above are my personal opinion about the products I recieved.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this necklace! I'm so glad you posted pics of you wearing it because those really show it off better. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete