Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sometimes I need a push..............

When Jen Cameron of Art Elements posted this months Bead of the Month, and it was one of her glass sugar skulls, you know I commented on that blog in hopes to win one.  

I mean, looks at how fun these are!


Each month, one of their artists make a bead, and each member, plus a couple lucky readers, get one of the beads, and then they create something with them.

I haven't really had a chance to do that in awhile (to create with something that I did not purchase), and you know what, once in awhile I need that push.

Now, I buy and use a lot of different components.  But when I am making and / or hand picking my components, they are all very much my style, and something I can see right away in my jewelry.  Once in awhile, I like to have something given to me, something that challenges me to think a little more about the design.

It's no secret I love sugar skulls- and Jen sent me a delightful one.  It is however, bright.  Like sugar skulls usually are.  And I didn't really want a bright finished piece.  So it took me some time to figure out how to maintain the color pops, but tone it down, so it still looks like something I'd make- old and a bit gritty.

I love a good challenge and push now and again.

I began to pick beads that matched the colors in the skull, but were earthy.  At first the layout had some polymer beads in it, but it quickly changed to all / mostly gemstones.



I decided to wrap the skull in wire.  Putting antiqued copper wire around something bright immediately tones down the brightness.  So I started there.  


Since the hole is vertical, I could not do one of my chunky classic chokers.  So, it needed to be the dangle, or part of a dangle.  I kinda saw that would have to be the layout from the start.

Well, after much fiddling and doing and un-doing, I am so freakin happy with how it turned out.  I honestly didn't think I'd love it.  As I added elements, I wasn't sure they would work (like those seed beads).........but they did.  It all came together quite nicely.  It is heavy with all those large gemstones and heavy wire (16-18g) and the extra chain, but it lays perfect and is oh so comfy to wear.




I think I need to make some more like this, one one art bead shown off among many large gemstones.  







I am so thankful I got to be a part of this challenge.  I needed that little push.  Something a little different and fun came out of it- and that is what it is all about.

Now hop over to these other blogs and see what everyone else made with their pieces!



Guest Designers


Staci Louise SmithKarin Grosset GrangeSolange Collin


Art Elements Team


Caroline DewisonSusan KennedyLaney MeadClaire FabianDiana PtaszynskiJenny Davies-ReazorCathy Spivey MendolaLindsay StarrNiky SayersLesley WattCooky SchockJen Cameron 

19 comments:

  1. Wow such a beautifully thought out and well designed piece Stacie, I love all the earthy tones and the seed beads are pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Stacie! I love how different the shapes are from your classic necklaces, yet still totally you. Thanks for playing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you wrapped the sugar skull to incorporate it into the necklace! It all works so perfectly together. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The seed beads were the perfect touch to add something whimsical and colourful like the skull. Even if it is not your bead, I would still instantly recognize this as a necklace made by you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The seed beads are the key! the small circular design element! The more muted colors bridging the skull's intense colors and the earthy gems. It is SO YOU! and so fabulous. I am very glad you played along this month! And enjoyed the creative challenge as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You already know I love this piece but I'll say it again, I love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great design and balance! I would love to wear this to the Dia de los Muertos celebration I will be attending, I'm sure I would be flooded with compliments on your fabulous piece.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great design Staci - I Love that little swag of seeds below the donut...it really pulls everything together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic, I love all your wirework and the fabulous stones you combined with the sugar skull. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunner! You got the perfect balance with the wire & gemstones, and the seed beads really make it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just adore this so MUCH! I am so glad you participated in the challenge. The seed beads really bring everything together perfectly and mimic the dots around the eyes too. Gorgeous! Thank you for participating this month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect! My kind of jewelry I like to wear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in Texas for two weeks, so I finally get to leave comments. I love your necklace, it's so you! Love how you wrapped the focal and the seed beads! Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg i LOVE this necklace! all the color is fabulous, and the colors, shapes and proportions are all so harmonious. beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete